Title Mechanical Engineer
Reports to Engineering Manager
Med Associates is looking for a practical, hands on Mechanical Engineer with project leadership skills ready to take on the diverse needs of a small company. We are looking for someone ready to develop new products and take them through production but also happy to quickly take care of the smaller day to day projects needed to sustain a large product line. The ideal candidate will have the hands-on experience to build prototypes, the ability to work well with both the production and sales teams and the drive to take full ownership of projects.
Med Associates is a high mix, low volume manufacturer of electro-mechanical scientific equipment with full vertically integrated manufacturing capabilities in house. In this position you will work alongside a team of Mechanical, Electrical, Software and Customer Support engineers as well as working closely with the production team to solve problems, increase efficiency and bring products to market.
Duties and Responsibilities
Due to the nature of our business, you will wear many hats and change them frequently. Your time at Med Associates will include the following:
- Conceptual Design – Develop initial concepts for new products or new versions of existing products including the development of product requirements based on customer needs.
- Detailed Design – Develop detailed mechanical designs and drawings. This includes user interfaces, electro-mechanical interfaces, material specification, machining, and assembly requirements
- Project Management – Take ownership of projects and lead cross functional teams to drive them to completion.
- Manufacturing Engineering – Support the manufacturing team as needed. This includes design documentation such as BOM’s, prints, and work instructions as well as assembly and test jigs and fixtures, tooling and support for Lean Manufacturing initiatives.
- Research & Development - Research the application of new or new to the company technologies for use in product development. Assess the feasibility and cost of implementing these new technologies to produce cost effective new products.
- Prototype Construction, Testing, and Validation – Design, assemble and test prototypes of new products or assemblies. Test and validate new vendor supplied components.
- Customer Support – Provide customer support for custom orders and installations and be willing to travel to customer sites for installation of products as needed.
- Additional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Engineering Manager.
Minimum Qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s or Associate degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline
- Five to ten years experience as a Mechanical Engineer in a manufacturing design environment. Preferably in an electro-mechanical design and manufacturing environment
- Project Management or Project leadership experience demonstrating the communication and interpersonal skills to lead a project within a cross functional team all the way from concept through production.
- Forward-thinking and improvement-minded to solve problems before others know they exist
- Proficient with 3D Mechanical CAD software. SolidWorks preferred.
- Technical skills including mechanical and electromechanical design, material specification and detailed engineering and manufacturing documentation
The successful candidate will also have experience in some of the following areas:
- Manufacturing Engineering or experience in a manufacturing environment
- 3D printing
- Machining or other hands on skills
- Sheet metal design
- Plastic design including injection molding
- Quality Systems (Corrective Action, APQP, etc.)
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
- This is an indoor, primarily, office-based job requiring the use of a computer
- The job may require occasional travel.
- Use of hands is required to occasionally operate various equipment and handheld tools
- The employee must be able to lift up to 40 pounds occasionally
- The employee will be required to wear safety glasses and other personal protective equipment as needed.
Med Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer and has provided exciting career opportunities in the medical instrumentation field for many individuals since establishing a business in Vermont in 1971. The position being offered is a full time salaried position that offers a competitive compensation package as well as a solid array of benefits; MVP Health Plan, Delta Dental Plan, 401K Plan, ETO-Earned Time Off, VSP-Vision plan, Aflac, Tuition Reimbursement program, and ten paid holidays which includes your birthday!
If interested, please reply by email or mail with cover letter and resume to:
Chip Thibault, HR
Med Associates, PO Box 319, St. Albans, VT 05478
Also, to be considered for any above position it is company policy that we know your salary range requirements. Your application will not be considered for review unless you have submitted your salary range requirement.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $60,000.00 - $80,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- Mechanical Engineering: 5 years (Preferred)