Reliability & Classification: Permanent
Maintenance and Reliability Reporting to: Reliability Superintendent
Come by Chance Refinery Closing date: January 31, 2020
TBD Posting Type: External
We’ve proudly served Newfoundlanders with refined products manufactured right here for almost
30 years. Think of us as the company that keeps the province warm and provides the fuel to keep
it running too. NARL Refining LP is a crude oil refinery located in Come By Chance in
Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. It has a refinery capacity of 130,000 barrels per day. At
NARL Refining, we don’t have a work force. We have a community that’s more than 600 strong.
Our employees come from the towns surrounding the refinery and from all over the world. They
are operators, engineers, craftspeople, managers, and drivers. They are also scout leaders,
education mentors, and healthcare volunteers. Our highly skilled employees transform crude oil
into some of the cleanest fuels on the world market. It’s a job that requires the greatest care and
safety. Safety training and performance at NARL Refining is second to none – it’s a culture.
Reliability & Maintenance Engineer
NARL Refining LP is looking to add a skilled Reliability & Maintenance Engineer to our team.
The incumbent is expected to contribute to a positive working environment with a continued
commitment to safety. The Reliability & Maintenance Engineer is to identify and manage asset
reliability risks that could adversely affect plant or business operations. The primary purpose of
this role is to develop, communicate and support the long-term strategies for improving the
overall reliability of the Refinery. Perform Criticality Assessments on assets to determine risk
and impact of failure. Asset specific preventative maintenance strategies, predictive maintenance
strategies, and cost of life assessments.
- Perform thorough review and analysis of equipment histories, looking for trends
and evidence of insufficient strategies.
- Perform review of spare parts to ensure alignment with our risk strategy. Most
work to be performed in the office, some work to be performed in the field
requiring climbing, confined spaces, etc.
- Work with resources external to the Reliability Engineering Group to collect
information as required to perform tasks.
- Develop and present recommendations on items to gain alignment between those
- Prepare and present data, reports and recommendations on items listed above to
peers and leadership.
- Plan and prioritize multiple tasks related to area of responsibility to meet
- Provide coverage for other Engineers as required through cross-training.
- Able to provide some direction to junior engineers with carrying out technical
- Able to assist more senior engineers with carrying out technical tasks requiring
accuracy in calculation, completeness of data and adherence to prescribed
analysis or designed data assets.
- Assist in day-to-day technical support for the maintenance of Refinery when
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in an operating plant environment
- University bachelor’s degree in engineering, some knowledge of complex engineering
concepts, practices and procedures
- Registered or available for registration with PEGNL
- Experience resolving problems with Rotating & Fixed Equipment in running
- Experience managing multiple tasks and with attention to details.
- This position is required to respond in times of refinery upset, the ability to perform
under stress is required.
- Ability to make focused and accurate decisions, effectively communicate verbally/orally
and adhere to deadlines.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills, computer skills, ability to prioritize and plan.
- Works effectively in a team environment, builds effective working relationships
- Experienced with change management through reliability program development.
Competitive salary • Comprehensive Flexible Benefits including Health and Dental, life insurance Accounts •
Short-Term and Long-Term Disability Plans • Company Pension Plan with employer matched contributions •
Free Employee and Family Assistance Program • Free on-site parking • Employee appreciation events •
Company shuttle from Refinery to St. John’s and back daily. (Employee is responsible for transportation if bus
is not operating). Eligibility is based on status of role.
North Atlantic is committed to Employment Equity. Accommodations during the recruitment process are available
upon request for candidates with disabilities.
If you feel you have the knowledge, skills, and heart to be a NARL Refining employee, send
your resume, quoting Requisition # 2-20-04 Reliability and Maintenance Engineer
NARL Refining LP, PO Box 40
Come By Chance, NL Canada, A0B 1N0