Job Summary: This person will work within the Composite Product Engineering Team to design, analyze, develop, qualify, and produce filament wound composite products primarily used within aerospace, energy, and commercial applications. They will possess a strong background in product design and processing with an emphasis in composites. They will be required to perform a variety of project related tasks including cost, schedule, and risk management.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Mechanical design and analysis of filament wound composite products. Responsible for the overall form, fit, and function of each design.
- Utilize finite element analysis (FEA) software to determine the suitability of potential solutions.
- Responsible for ensuring all designs are compliant with pertinent rules and regulations.
- Prepare Design and Analysis reports.
- Work within a cross-functional product design team.
- Work with outside component suppliers as necessary to specify components and assist with procurement.
- Work with outside fabrication suppliers to provide technical direction. Maintain open dialog with the suppliers to ensure projects meet cost and schedule targets.
- Utilize Design for Six Sigma principles to create robust solutions.
- Work with and provide direction to CAD Technicians on modeling and drafting of components and assemblies.
- Review drawing packages to ensure conformance with established company and industry specifications and standards.
- Specification and approval of engineering change orders (ECO).
- Assist with periodic review of configuration management system.
- Perform project management duties. Provide project status reports to management. Provide project status reports to customers. Control financial, schedule, and technical risks.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must be proficient in SolidWorks.
- Must be proficient in MS Office.
- Working knowledge of FEA Software Packages (ABAQUS preferred).
- Excellent knowledge and application of statistical design methods, finite element analysis, static and dynamic modeling techniques, composites process and fabrication methods (geared toward filament winding), and data acquisition.
Credentials and Experience
- A bachelor’s degree from an ABET accredited university in mechanical engineering or a closely related field. A master’s degree is preferred.
- 2 to 5 years of related product design and analysis experience. An emphasis on composites is preferred.
Other Skills/Abilities or Special Requirements
- Able to work independently to complete individual tasks assigned by a team.
- Good organizational skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively, in English, with oral and written communication.
- Ability to work demanding hours, as necessary, to meet project deadlines.
- Must exercise initiative or, as directed, perform additional duties to meet the needs of the organization.
- Travel up to 10% of the time may be required.
- Must be United States citizen, lawful permanent resident or otherwise eligible to work in the United States.
Job Type: Full-time
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Tuition reimbursement