XL Batteries – R&D Chemical Engineer
To apply, please visit the XL Batteries website at: www.xl-batteries.com/contact-us
Please include a cover letter and resume as separate documents. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
XL Batteries is a Brooklyn-based scientific research company developing next generation battery technology for grid-level energy storage. We are a small, highly collaborative team currently conducting chemical and engineering research and development in our laboratory in Brooklyn, NY. Our mission is to enable large scale energy storage for use with existing infrastructure. Our ultimate goal is to unlock the potential of intermittent renewable generation such as solar and wind.
XL Batteries is an equal opportunity employer. We offer competitive salary and benefits, including healthcare, dental, vision, and a retirement plan.
We are seeking talented individuals with a proven track record who are looking to solve complex, challenging research problems. We are looking for teammates who are collaborative and creative.
Each team member has an opportunity to truly impact XL Batteries, and with that mentality we need team members that are excited to work in a fast paced startup environment that is ever changing, where no job is too big or too small, and where we strive to constantly question everything.
XL Batteries is developing a new generation of flow battery for grid-scale energy storage. We are currently seeking creative, forward-thinking individuals to help design and implement prototype battery systems with industrial mass production in mind. We are especially interested in candidates who are excited to help build a culture of discovery, curiosity, and ingenuity in a rapidly evolving scientific role. Some of the major tasks at hand include: (i) Designing, building and testing flow battery prototypes (ii) independently iterating and improving prototype design based on performance metrics
(iii) identifying areas for design improvement with an eye to cost reduction and DFMA principles (iv) scaling up the battery prototype (v) interfacing with chemical synthesis team to assist in designing scalable chemistry.
- Develop and optimize current generation and next-generation device design and generate 3D models for production.
- Build and test battery prototypes.
- Participate in intellectual property creation.
- Interface with material suppliers and contract manufacturers throughout the prototyping process.
- Follow existing and generate new manufacturing SOPs.
- Work in our cross-discipline team to assist with all aspects of the prototyping process (design, manufacturing, testing, connecting with vendors).
- Evaluate new materials for battery construction through physical and electrochemical testing.
- Interface with synthesis team to advise/translate discovery chemistry to industrially relevant processes.
- Manage multiple projects and adhere to fast timelines.
- Maintain excellent records and write reports and research summaries as required.
- MA/MS or PhD in Chemical or Mechanical engineering or related field required.
- 2+ years relevant experience preferred.
- Strong written and oral communication skills required.
- Experience with product development through mechanical design preferred.
- Machining, fabricating, or welding experience a plus.
- Familiarity with rapid prototyping and CAD preferred.
- Experience working safely in a laboratory required.
- Experience with chemical synthesis a plus.
- Electrochemical device experience a plus (batteries, fuel cells, etc.).
- Highly motivated and self-driven individual with the ability to work independently and multi-task.
Please include a cover letter as part of your resume.
Job Type: Full-time