This is a rare and exciting opportunity with a mining and chemical processing facility located 50 miles south of Las Vegas, NV. MP Materials owns and operates Mountain Pass, the only integrated Rare Earth mining and processing site in North America. Rare Earths power the modern economy. They are essential components in a wide range of industrial, clean energy and information technology applications. The MP Materials facilities are currently undergoing major and rapid expansion to meet growing global demand.
The Process Development Chemist will be in the Process Technology and Engineering Department, and report directly to the Principal Engineer. The Process Development Chemist will play a key role in driving research projects aimed at improving and expanding the company’s rare earth processing capabilities and efficiencies.
- Design, plan and carry out meaningful experiments in the process development laboratory and provide in depth analysis and reporting of the results.
Experience with Design of Experiment (DOE) and Statistical Process Control (SPC) methodologies is beneficial.
- Develop processes for mineral processing under the general direction of the Principal Engineer
- Develop analytical methods and identify new analytical technologies
- Perform research of existing technology, processes and products.
- Promote process safety and risk management and actively participate
in quality and environmental management systems.
- Maintain a safe and orderly working environment
- Perform area inspections and keep laboratory chemical inventory current
- Order chemicals and supplies for experiments and to maintain inventory
- Keep accurate notes in lab notebooks, with enough detail that others could perform the same experiments and produce the same results
- Support plant operations as needed for startup, commissioning activities, and routine troubleshooting
- Complete any other tasks as needed or directed by management
- Minimum 3 years’ experience conducting research projects
and working in a laboratory setting
- Experience operating analytical instruments
- Pilot process design and operation experience preferred
- QA/QC experience preferred
- Experience in lab bench, pilot and plant scale
chemical/mineral processing preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree in chemistry, Materials Science, Metallurgy or a related field. ACS certified institution preferred.
- Valid Driver’s License and a good driving record are required to
drive company vehicles on and off property
- Must be authorized to work in the United States
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written
- Ability to complete a task with minimal supervision
- Attention to detail and ability to learn new duties
- Ability to work in teams with strong collaboration skills
- Ability to work with people at all levels within the organization
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), statistical software
- Must thrive in a high stress, start-up environment
- Must be able to meet critical deadlines