The Manufacturing Engineer – Plastics, will be responsible for designing and developing materials and other goods made with plastics. Creates specifications, establishes manufacturing control plans, and designs pieces and parts for use in Medical Device disposables, Capital Equipment and Instruments. The preferred candidate will be an excellent collaborator, works well in an agile term environment, and has experience with the full software lifecycle including high level design, and development. Typically reports to a supervisor or manager. Typically requires 8 to 10 years of related experience.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- Design plastics or injection-mold fabrication processes.
- Create and improve injection-mold machinery.
- Research and develop new manufacturing processes.
- Analyze manufacturing data and suggest improvements.
- Analyze production and machinery line.
- Ensure quality output of molded components.
- Develop and design engineered plastic parts, insert molded parts and assemblies.
- Interact with customers, suppliers, and internal resources.
- Establish the parameters for an optimal molding environment.
- Design necessary components.
- Ensure environment to make plastics is appropriate.
- Analyze quality control and correct flaws.
- Work with other team members and vendors.
- Author validation plans and review existing validation plans/reports.
- Create new reports and verifications.
- Analyze moldflow, part advisor analysis, finite element analysis, and stress/fatigue analysis on plastics.
- Design hot/cold runner molds.
- Develop 3D solid mold designs.
- Create water diagrams and hot runner wiring schematics.
- Prepare mold-filling simulations.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of 10 years of Plastics Engineering experience
- Experience with Moldflow® software for plastic injection molding simulation
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Extensive experience with injection mold tool design
- Proven track record of troubleshooting injection mold processes
- Low cost region experience with injection molding
- Familiarity with molding Validation in Medical Device environment
- Experience with motor controls and power management a plus
- Bachelor of Science in Plastics Engineering (or related engineering discipline, experience will be considered in lieu of formal degree).