Geographic Information Services, Inc. (GISinc) is a small business whose core purpose is to create insight through spatial technology. This is an opportunity to work with one of the leading GIS consulting organizations. We are looking for technical people that want to tackle those tough to solve problems and love delivering solutions.
If you have exceptional talent and interpersonal skills and meet the following description, please submit a detailed CV that outlines the experience and requirements.
GIS Specialist – Anchorage, AK
The primary role of the GIS Specialist will be to research, identify and acquire specific data, to develop those data into geospatial layers which conform to defined data standards, and to ensure that all data compilations roll up to national views. The GIS Specialist will also perform quality control on acquired data as well as on produced geospatial data.
Candidates must be eligible for federal security clearance and proof of U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Identify and acquire data in native formats. Priority data lists and methods will be provided. This may require exploring and searching for data via communication with a wide variety of field staff.
- Convert all formats of data acquired into single, well-documented geospatial files at a state or national level.
- Create and ensure standard metadata is associated with each geospatial file.
- Prepare maps for progress demonstration or to illustrate data complexities and issues.
- Communicate and work with an extended interdisciplinary team to ensure proper understanding of data elements, data standards, and geospatial methods guidance.
- Assist with data collection, consolidation, sharing and general data management activities.
- Prepare and submit weekly status/progress reports.
- Participate in the monthly/weekly conference calls and in-person meetings as scheduled.
Ideal (in addition to required experience):
- Minimum of a Bachelors Degree in Geography/GIS, Science, Engineering or related field.
- Demonstrate experience of 2+ years developing and editing geospatial data using geospatial tools, specifically ArcGIS/ArcMap, SDE and other ESRI developed GIS tools.
- Demonstrate experience of 2+ years in development and documentation of geospatial data via FGDC compliant metadata.
- Demonstrate experience of greater than 2 years developing and reviewing geospatial or tabular data to meet data standards, such as ensuring requisite data schemas, file naming conventions, etc.
- Demonstrate knowledge of concepts and principles of geospatial data management and general data Quality Assurance processes.
- Demonstrate experience in developing written technical documentation (such as metadata, training materials, workflow diagrams, white papers, etc.).
- Demonstrate experience in creating maps to communicate issues, to provide status updates or provide general spatial information to lay persons and geospatial experts.
- Demonstrate ability to orally communicate technical information effectively to lay persons and geospatial technical experts alike.
Competencies and Skills:
- 1+ year experience handling complex ecological, natural resource or environmental landscape data.
- 1+ year experience scripting or otherwise automating edit processes.
- 1+ year experience using established metadata tools and programs that are FGDC compliant or in advanced xml handling.
- Exceptional customer service orientation.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work productively with a wide range of people.
- Able to translate technical concepts into layman's terms.
- Able to coordinate with program stakeholders.
- In depth knowledge of GIS data development, editing and quality control procedures.
- Self-motivated, pro-active, and ability to multi-task.
- Client site at a federal agency in Anchorage, AK
- Travel up to 10% of the time
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.