October 21, 2019
Clark Nexsen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status. AAP. Drug-free workplace. E-verify. Applicants must be legally authorized to work for Clark Nexsen Inc. without employer sponsorship. We do not typically sponsor H-1B or any other work visa petitions.
Must apply online through corporate website at www.clarknexsen.com.
Clark Nexsen is a national architecture and engineering firm focused on creating innovative design solutions for U.S. and global clients. We are passionate about our work and are prominently ranked on numerous industry lists. Building Design + Construction ranks Clark Nexsen as a Top 20 architecture and engineering firm and we have been named to the Architect 50 list of top U.S. firms for the past four years. Our culture supports the pursuit of excellence to engage and inspire the best professionals.
Our firm is headquartered in Virginia Beach, Virginia, with 450 employees in office locations in Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, and Texas. We offer outstanding compensation, benefits, and growth opportunities in a positive work environment. We believe we can create a better world through our work. Giving back is also a guiding philosophy. As a company and as individuals, we proudly volunteer and give back to the surrounding communities where we live and work.
Health, Dental, Vision, 401k, Short and Long term Disability, Paid Time Off, Aflac, Flexible benefits, and Legal Resources benefits are available.
We seek to hire a Senior Civil Designer in our Virginia Beach, VA office who will perform Civil engineering analysis and design tasks and be responsible for the preparation and coordination of Civil construction documents on multi-discipline projects of moderate to large scope and Civil only projects while working under the supervision and guidance of the licensed Civil Engineer (PE) leading the project.
General responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Performing various design services as a senior designer, including conceptual studies, design analyses, calculations, and site design with minimal direction from supervising civil staff.
- Providing oversight and coordination of projects, and working with assigned design managers and project managers, to meet client's budget, contract fees, goals, objectives, and deadlines
- Coordinating and communicating all aspects of civil design within multi-disciplinary teams as requested by the Senior Engineer or design manager
- Supervising and mentoring EI/EIT's and CAD technicians
- Complying with quality control policies and procedures
- Providing support services during the bidding process, i.e., preparing addenda, amendments, open bids, tabulate bids, etc. as directed
- Performing construction phase services including answering RFI's, reviewing shop drawings, and preparing record drawings as directed
- Performing other responsibilities as assigned by the senior engineer, design manager, project managers, principals, and senior management.
Project responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Perform Engineer or Senior Engineer tasks as directed
- Responsible for document organization and clarity
- Responsible for discipline drawing coordination
- Develop recommendations regarding site layout, roadway layout, and grading
- Create schematic-level plans and details for approval by the Senior Engineer
- Develop an accurate, three-dimensional model of the site with the necessary level of detail using the required Building Information Modeling (BIM) software package, when BIM is a project requirement
- Use BIM to perform site grading
- Use BIM to design utilities
- Develop design options for resolution of utility system conflicts
- Assist with LEED templates
- Participate in editing discipline specifications
- Coordinate work product with other disciplines
- Adhere to project budget and schedule
- Have earned a high school diploma, or equivalent, and completed coursework in AutoCAD, Microstation, and/or BIM software packages from a technical or vocational school; or
- An Associate's Degree in a field of study related to drafting and design; or
- A Certificate in a field of study related to drafting and design; or
- A four-year undergraduate degree in a field of study related to drafting and design
Licenses, Certifications, and Accreditations
- Applicable Autodesk certifications are desirable
- Active membership in drafting or modeling-related organizations (local or web-based) is desirable
- Certificate of Management for Building Information Modeling (CM-BIM) is desirable
- Understanding of sustainable design principles and design practices and pursuing LEED AP accreditation is desirable
- Additional certifications such as CDT, CCS, or CCCA are encouraged to reflect personal growth in the profession and an ever increasing knowledge base to enhance the design and documentation process
A Senior Civil Designer should be able to effectively utilize current company software programs for word processing, e-mail, and information management.
Working familiarity with design and production software to a point of being able to utilize the software in the development of project documents and interact with other project team members in their use of the software is highly desirable.
A Senior Civil Designer should typically have 12 years or more of relevant experience as a Civil CAD or BIM technician with demonstrable proficiency with AutoCAD and/or Bentley Microstation software packages.
Experience in federal, state, municipal, healthcare, commercial, higher education or similar projects plus experience in Design/Build and CM at Risk project delivery methods is desirable.
Other Criteria and Considerations
- Ability to prepare effective and concise documents and correspondence.
- Ability to make effective presentations to a variety of groups
- Have a can-do attitude with a desire to provide outstanding professional services
- Be dedicated to his or her professional development as well as the success of colleagues and the firm as a whole