1.0 About ESS, our team, and what we are looking for:
Energy Storage Systems (ESS Inc) is a fast-growing, venture-backed, multi patented, clean technology start-up, located in Wilsonville, OR. ESS has developed an extremely cost-effective energy management system that combines an environmentally safe, abundant and non-toxic iron electrolyte with our patented flow cell design. Our advanced flow battery technology combines high performance with low cost, renewable integration designed for commercial, industrial, and utility applications.
Our team boasts decades of experience in distributed power generation and energy storage technologies. We are team building a disruptive, cutting edge technology. We are looking for motivated, hard-working, like-minded people to join our team of individuals who have a passion for sustainability, the environment, and who thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial setting. This position involves close interaction with numerous engineering disciplines. Applicant must be comfortable working in a team environment that is fast paced and dynamic. A strong commitment to quality and continuous improvement is required.
2.0 Position Profile:
ESS is looking for a motivated and versatile R&D Engineer to join our team. Our current program scope involves design, develop and evaluate new generation of power module and electrolyte management system, characterize and improve electrolyte chemistry.
3.0 Primary Responsibilities
· Lead R&D activities to develop and validate an alternative low cost power module for All-Iron Redox Flow Battery.
· Lead R&D activities to optimize electrolyte chemistry for efficiency and durability.
· Assist in design validation of innovative electrolyte management subsystems.
· Design, construct and perform reliability tests on various key system components
· Build and test flow batteries and electrolyte management system of various sizes and capacities using developed materials and chemicals.
· Able to troubleshoot, collect and analyze data and present test results to the engineering team.
· Run design validation tests and perform analyses afterwards to guide design goals for improved battery performance and reliability.
· Develop and optimize chemical processes for flow batteries of different scales.
· Interact with manufacturing engineer to scale up production of the developed new generation membranes.
· Working experience with battery or fuel cell systems is desired.
· Experience in managing R&D lab is a plus.
· Comfortable in a fast-paced, collaborative work environment.
· Exercises judgment setting work priorities and identifies next steps.
· Requires minimal oversight.
5.0 Requirements & Qualifications
· MS or higher in ChE, Chemistry, Physics, or Material Science is required.
· Electrochemistry skills and knowledge are must - wet chemistries and reactions, interactions and material behaviors.
· Demonstrated knowledge of the chemical process engineering principals in a fuel cell or battery industry preferred.
· Must be able to multi-task several projects and prioritize workload to meet business specific deadlines
· Good interpersonal and communication skills to work effectively with a small, dynamic team responsible for product development.
· Legally authorized, U.S. Citizenship or permanent residency. – See Note:
· Ability to lift 50 lbs. unassisted.
· Ability to follow job required Standards and Safety Protocols, per pre-defined processes.
· Must be able to wear Personal Protection Equipment according to OSHA rules and regulations.
· Experience in a manufacturing environment with dynamic daily priorities.
· Experience in new-product introduction and scale to manufacturing.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are open to considering every qualified candidate who is eligible and legally authorized to work in the United States on a full or part-time basis, and who does not require a visa sponsorship or who is of H1B1 status.
6.0 What ESS Offers
· Benefits: In addition to the value of working with and helping grow a global reaching clean technology, headquartered in the middle of the beautiful Pacific Northwest valley, ESS offers a competitive benefits package: Company assisted Health insurance, Medical & Dental; FLEX spending account; 6 paid holidays; 401K, a generous PTO accrual; and public transportation assistance.
· Pay dependent on experience: $65k-$90k
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $65,000.00 to $90,000.00 /year
Pay may depend on skills and/or qualifications
- Electrochemistry skills and knowledge: 2 years (Required)
- Knowledge of the chemical process engineering principals: 1 year (Preferred)
- Wilsonville, OR 97070 (Required)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Paid time off