Economic Development Officer
(Job Creation Partnership Program - 30 Weeks, 35hrs/week, $524/week)
The Town of Pouch Cove is creating this temporary Economic Development Officer position with funding provided by the Job Creation Partnership (JCP) Program through the Department of Advanced Education Skills and Labor. The primary aspiration of the Economic Development Officer will be advancing the socioeconomic interests of the residents and businesses within our community, under the direction of the Chief Administrative Officer, in pursuit of the following Economic Development Goals:
1. Economic Development Capacity – Maximize the abilities of the community and municipality to foster a supportive business climate.
2. Lands and Property – Maximize the availability and usage of lands and properties for residential growth and economic development.
3. Local Amenities, Employment, and Activities – Maximize the availability of local businesses, public services, and activities for the attraction of residents and associated local employment impacts.
To realize these goals, the Town of Pouch Cove is in need of a candidate with a strong local knowledge of Pouch Cove and a passionate interest in seeing the community thrive. The candidate will also require strong abilities with computers, communications, research, and community collaboration. A list of initiatives to pursue during the project period are listed as follows:
1. Establish a Business Register of local business and a means of promoting this to prospective customers in the area.
2. Establish a registry of vacant land available for sale in the Town. Establish a means of promoting and making this available to prospective business or land developers.
3. Establish an active local economic development committee or chamber of commerce.
4. Create a webpage on the Town website dedicated to economic development.
5. Perform research and survey the community to gain an understanding of potential amenity interests or other economic information that would be of interest to prospective businesses.
6. Publish an Economic Action Plan incorporating the survey information collected to broadcast the opportunities available for new business start-ups in the Town of Pouch Cove.
7. Develop a Community Development Projects Listing along with action plans to complete them and a system for prioritizing the projects to maximize the benefits to the community.
8. Pursue actions as identified in the Economic Action Plan and Community Development Projects Listing to further advance any economic development opportunities available in the Town.
9. Pursue other opportunities discovered throughout the duration of the project that would advance the socioeconomic interests of residents and businesses within the community.
Participant Eligibility: The Job Creation Partnership Program
The Job Creation Partnership (JCP) program is designed to support projects that will provide participants, who are EI eligible, with opportunities to gain work experience that will improve their employment prospects. Project activities should benefit both the participant and the community. The primary focus of the program is helping insured participants who need work experience to increase their chances of successfully finding ongoing employment. Funding is provided through the Canada – Newfoundland and Labrador Labour Market Development Agreement (LMDA).
The Job Creation Partnership program shall only be used to assist individuals who:
· Are a resident of the province;
· Are Canadian citizens or permanent residents
· legally entitled to work in Canada;
· Are EI-eligible; and
· Have an employment plan that identifies the work experience being considered supports a reasonable occupational goal.
To apply, please provide a cover letter, resume, and most recent post-secondary transcript by 3:00pm on Friday May 29th, 2020. In your cover letter please confirm your eligibility to participate, describe your interest in the position, explain your local knowledge of Pouch Cove, and elaborate on the extent to which this experience would align with your future occupational goals.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for community building with work or volunteer experience in community engagement or community development projects. There are many opportunities we can pursue that are suitable to your skillset, so we imagine our ideal candidate to have experience working with a variety of small businesses or possibly a recent graduate with a diploma or degree in business, economics, geography, or other social science. Please highlight any experiences, projects, or coursework you have completed that you feel would be highly relevant to this position.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
Salary: $524.00 /week
- Economic Development: 1 year (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)
- Pouch Cove, NL (Required)