Position Title: Process Engineer Date: 07-21-20
Reports To: Manufacturing Eng. Manager Rev: B 10-31-13
Status: Salary Exempt Pay Level:
The Process Engineer (PE) will assist others in the initiation and direction of engineering projects to determine the most practical means in converting raw material into a finished product. The PE will also support production supervision to achieve efficient use of production manpower by improving the utilization of tooling and equipment while maintaining product quality to meet and exceed customer needs at competitive costs.
This position requires attention to detail, strong problem-solving skills, the ability to create solutions to challenges in an expedient manner and a high level of accuracy. The employee must be willing and able to communicate effectively with others. The position requires a person with strong self-direction, one who takes initiative with a sense of urgency.
Specific Job Functions & Responsibilities:
- Ensure that all processes and actions provide for a safe work environment for all AGI employee’s and visitors.
- Analyze part prints and develop machine programs and processes to yield a quality part.
Determine the most efficient sequence of operations and control the content of operational sheet changes based on Product Engineering specifications and document in product specifications.
Specifications are to include information regarding machines, tools, and gages to be used for machining and inspection operations on forgings, castings, and bar stock.
- Prepare operational sheets and routings as required for new parts in a timely manner to AG standards.
- Check and approve machine processes prior to establishing production rates.
- Drive continuous improvement based upon Lean Principles. Participate in Lean events and teams.
- Knowledgeable with SPC practices and performing capability studies.
- Recommend design changes in order to obtain maximum use of existing tooling, or more economical methods of manufacturing. Request new tooling from tool design for those operations where existing tooling is not appropriate.
- Coordinate layout changes and anticipated flow of material with manufacturing and facilities departments. Prepare equipment move orders as required.
- Communicate progress, projected completion dates, and results of all work being performed on special assignments and major projects by utilizing project management software and other computer software tools.
- Analyze prints and determine the most economical and practical methods of manufacturing a quality product or recommend what equipment must be purchased to produce a new product when capability or capacity demands exceed the limitations of existing equipment.
- Maintain current knowledge of Auburn Gear product line, materials, processes, and design techniques.
- Assists with other duties as needed and directed
K: \Exchange\HR\Job Descriptions Page 1* of 2*
Position Description __
Qualifications - Education, Experience, Behaviors and/or Training:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant engineering discipline (Mechanical or Industrial) and a minimum of 5 years’ experience working in a manufacturing environment.
- Experience in Gear cutting processes and tooling
- Experience in CNC Machining and programming of multi-axis lathes and machining centers
- Proficient in CNC machine programming using G-code and M-code.
- Proficient with 3-D CAD/CAM software and a strong understanding of GD&T.
- Candidates with knowledge of FANUC Robots, gear-cutting processes such as hobbing, broaching, shaping, Heat Treat and assembly processes will gain top priority.
- An understanding of Lean manufacturing techniques such as Kaizan, 5S, Value Streaming
Mapping and error proofing practices preferred.
- Able to work collaboratively in problem solving and project management; professional approach with all personnel as well as suppliers and customers; demonstrated ability to keep department members and management informed of critical information; willingness to document tasks for backup personnel.
- Demonstrated sense of urgency – results oriented.
- Proficient in a minimum of two of the following processes; turning, broaching, drilling, tapping, gear cutting, threading, milling, grinding, heat treating, assembly of finished products and sub- assemblies, and possess a basic understanding of all processes performed at Auburn Gear.
- Able to multitask and work with more than one project at a time
- Team player and informal team leader when necessary
- High level of integrity, respects and uses procedures and internal controls
- Able to make timely decisions or bring the right decision makers together to cause timely decisions
- High level of accuracy in all transactions
- External and internal customer focused
- Understands individual role in accomplishing company goals
This position offers a strong compensation and benefit package including pension and 401K plans.
Interested candidates can submit resumes by fax (260) 927-2238, e-mail or mail to
Human Resources Department, Auburn Gear,LLC. 400 E. Auburn Drive, Auburn, IN 46706 EOE
K: \Exchange\HR\Job Descriptions Page 2* of 2*
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $1,240.00 - $1,540.00 per week
- 401(k) Matching
- Dental Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee Discount
- Flexible Schedule
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Referral Program
- Retirement Plan
- Vision Insurance
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday