Under the general direction of the Director of Recreation, assist in the development and implementation of a wide variety of youth & adult based recreation, educational, and cultural programs and community events.
- Assists in the development and implementation of youth & adult based recreation, educational, and cultural programs
- Attend, monitor and/or instruct a variety of programmed day, evening and/or weekend recreational activities as directed
- Ensure activities and/or events are well organized, adhere to proper play, safety precautions and start and end as scheduled
- Ensure activities maintain adequate program supplies, staffing support etc. as needed
- Ensure all venues are left clean and in good order
- Promote Division programs and events in the community, through social media and informal networks
- Assists with the scheduling and motivating of seasonal program staff and volunteers
- Other duties as assigned
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with youth, parents, staff, administrators, media, and the public.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to infuse creativity and flexibility into youth and community programs.
- General proficiency in organized sports play, youth development, youth/adult league play
- Knowledge of program requirements for recreation activities.
- Ability to relate and respond to children with diverse recreation, emotional, and social needs
- Ability to market programs and ideas; to communicate both orally and in writing.
- Ability to flex one’s schedule to accommodate program needs and schedule demands
- Ability to initiate innovative programs and to motivate paid and volunteer staff.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Duties require a Bachelor’s degree in Recreation or related field, 1-2 years of experience in developing/leading recreation/youth programs, preferably in youth servicing agencies; or any equivalent combination of education and experience. CPRP preferred. Experience with organized sports play essential.
May assist in oversight of limited staff.
- Requires substantial physical strength, stamina and agility to participate in one day to multi-day outdoor activities; subject to inclement weather and extremes in temperature.
- Duties require periods of heavy lifting and operation of large vans, pick-up trucks and trailers covered under a non-commercial driver’s license.
- Regularly uses computer keyboard requiring eye-hand coordinator and finger dexterity.
- Involves frequent attendance at evening and weekend outings or events.
Standard Work Week:
Job Class Code:
Town of Andover Classification Review
February 4, 2021