A Data Center Engineer is responsible for the operation, implementation and maintenance of an existing hosting service provider infrastructure. Duties will include capacity planning and implementing ongoing infrastructure architecture improvements in a data center environment. Senior Data Center Engineer(s) will be the primary technical resource, aided by other team members, performing both new customer activations, infrastructure architecture design and integration, and maintenance. This individual will have a strong ability to translate business requirements into technical requirements and anticipate end-to-end network infrastructure needs. Engineers work internally and externally with IT support team(s) and/or partners as part of an IT networking consultancy with client. This individual must possess high level of knowledge in networking, Windows/Linux server administration, storage area networks and virtualization technologies. The Senior Data Center Engineer serves as a support level for troubleshooting issues escalated from the Citon NOC and other engineers.
Essential duties and responsibilities are:
1) Research, design, implementation, test, maintain, repair, and support the following data center infrastructure
a. Data backup and restore services and software
b. VMware and other hypervisors
c. Servers and Storage Appliances
d. Data center, system, and network security
e. LAN and WAN switches, routers, firewalls, or related equipment
f. Data center disaster recovery
g. Service provider network connections and circuits
2) Analyze and report security breaches or attempted breaches
3) Performance and capacity planning for the data center infrastructure
4) Create or update technical documentation for data center installations or changes to existing installations
5) Maintain logs of data center activity including generation of schedule reports.
6) Serve as an escalation point for troubleshooting of complex networking related issues in a service provider environment
7) Design, configure, and install custom infrastructure solutions for Data Center customers
8) Operate and optimize existing networks with customer locations and the internet
9) Provide advanced technical direction and leadership to other network administrators/engineers through the planning and implementation processes
10) Attends to obligations and supports other company initiatives as directed
11) Liaising with customers’, partners, and technology vendors.
Daily documentation and reporting of labor time, customer information, and services provided are a daily requirement and crucial to the services provided by Citon.
A Senior Data Center Engineer is an advanced level engineering position, requiring extensive computer and networking skills, a strong attention to detail, and high-level diagnostic and problems solving skills.
Skills, Knowledge, Education
· Strong written and verbal communication skills – must be able to communicate in a clear and concise manner with customers.
· Attention to detail is imperative. Must be able to sort through data to determine appropriate conclusions and ensure that every step of a task is completed.
· Must be able to follow direction and ask questions where specific steps have not been given. However, ability to grow and become more self-reliant is important.
· Must be able to maintain confidentiality and discretion.
· Ability to balance quantity of work with quality of work is important.
· Reliability in completion of tasks is imperative.
· Must maintain a valid driver’s license.
· Must adhere to Citon professional dress code
· All Engineers are required to carry a cell phone at all times (reimbursed expense)
· Must show a willingness to take on new tasks and learn new skills
· Must show a willingness to assist other engineers
· Ability to follow though until issues are confirmed resolved is imperative
· Ability to provide thorough and timely documentation is essential
· Must understand server, security, wireless, network infrastructure, and other systems that Citon sells and services.
· Minimum of 5 years’ experience with Networking Service industry and products.
· Minimum of 5 years’ experience with Microsoft Server Operating Systems and one or more other industry standard operating systems.
· Minimum of 5 years’ experience with VMWare including distributed switching, high availability, distributed resource scheduler, and update manager.
· Minimum of 5 years’ experience with Storage Area Networks including iSCSI and FiberChannel switches and appliances.
· Minimum of 5 years’ experience with Citrix XenApp and NetScaler products.
· Minimum of 5 years’ experience with advanced networking products including switching, routing, load balancing, SDN, and firewalls
· Knowledge of programming languages and scripting a plus.
· Minimum of 2 years of post-secondary education.
· Should possess multiple pertinent vendor certification.
· Continued vendor training and certification specific to position.
Job Type: Full-time
- Duluth, MN 55802 (Required)
- What are your salary expectations for this role?
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
Visa Sponsorship Potentially Available:
- No: Not providing sponsorship for this job