Are you looking for a career in a fast-paced environment in the most exciting industry in the world where the opportunities for growth and learning are endless?
If your answer is yes, then come be a part of the Watco team!
Not only do we offer industry leading benefits, competitive pay, vacation and 401k, we also have a top of the line training program, Watco University, to educate our team members and help them to grow their career to the next level.
Schedule: 4 on, 4 off; 12-hour shifts, rotating between days and nights.
*** This position is at a terminal operation, not a railroad. This position does not require past railroad experience. We will train the right person.***
The conductor/engineer position will be to control and coordinate the train movements while switching railcars whether in the yard of a railroad, industrial plant, or similar location to facilitate the unloading and loading of railcars in a safe and efficient manner to service our customers. This position is a manual labor position which requires that the individual become proficient in the following skills, duties, and requirements within a prescribed training and introductory period.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrate predictable, reliable, and timely attendance.
- Follow written and verbal directions to complete assigned tasks on schedule.
- Read, write, and communicate in English & understand basic math.
- Learn from directions, observations, and mistakes and apply procedures using good judgment
- Inspects locomotive before running to verify specified fuel, sand, water, and all FRA requirements.
- Reads switching orders from designated person.
- Observes radio and hand signals in yard or in cab and operates locomotive in accordance with railroad rules and regulations.
- Observes arm or lantern signal and moves controls to move locomotive backwards or forwards to switch and couple cars; or receives starting signal and moves control; such as throttle and air brakes to operate locomotive.
- Reads and interprets wayside signals, track warrants and bulletins, and railroad rules and regulations to operate locomotive, following safety rules and regulations and time schedule.
- Talks to crew or other yard workers via radio to give or receive switching information.
- Confers with train dispatcher via radio to issue or receive information or instructions concerning stops, delays, or oncoming trains.
- May assist workers to throw switches or perform other activities involved when performing switching operations.
- Turns hand brake wheel or ratchet type brake and tie handbrakes.
- Observes track to detect obstructions.
- Inspects locomotive after run to detect damaged or defective equipment.
- Maintains records, number, origin, destination, and cargo of cars switched.
- May coordinate activities of switching crew from locomotive cab, caboose, or control tower.
- Raises coupling lever to couple or uncouple cars.
- Throws track switches to facilitate shunting of cars and signals Engineer to move cars, using lantern, arm signals or radio.
- Climbs ladder to top of car, rides atop cars, and turns hand wheel to set brakes or to control the speed of the car when it has been shunted.
- Connects air hose to cars when making up trains by bending and applying force.
- May walk along tops of cars and peer down between them to inspect couplings, air hoses, and journal boxes.
- May set warning signals, such as flares, flags, lanterns, or torpedoes at front of and at rear of train during emergency stops to warn oncoming trains.
- Sits or rides in cab of locomotive to observe signals from other crew members.
- May make minor repairs to couplings, air hoses and journal boxes, and report any equipment requiring major repairs.
- Performs other duties as requested or required
Machines, Tools, Special Equipment, Personal Protective Equipment Used:
- Hammers, ratchets, chisel, pry bar, wrenches, and brushes.
- PPE; hard hat, vest, safety glasses, FR clothing, gloves, steel toed boots
- High school education or general education development (GED).
- Ability to pass training and required testing.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 12 hour shift
- Day shift
- Night shift
Company's Facebook page: