I.M. Systems Group, Inc. (IMSG) is seeking a candidate to support the Environmental Modeling Center (EMC) of the National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP) in carrying out research and development work related to the future operational atmospheric component of the Unified Forecast System (UFS). The candidate’s work will involve the development, execution, testing, and evaluation of several components of the atmospheric data assimilation system in the context of numerical weather prediction. The work location is at the NOAA Center for Weather and Climate Prediction (NCWCP) in College Park, MD.
The candidate will perform the job duties in a high-quality, independent, and collaborative way, assisting with developing and applying innovative methods for the primary work areas described below. The candidate will work with EMC scientists and external collaborators to develop and test atmospheric data assimilation components for use in the UFS. In particular, the candidate will focus on the evaluation of current and future algorithms for use in global numerical weather prediction applications using the Joint Effort for Data assimilation Integration (JEDI) project.
The primary focus will be on performing an algorithm intercomparison study and contributing to future algorithm development activities within the JEDI project. This will include a comparison of variational-based solvers (Hybrid 4DEnVar versus Hybrid 4DVar) for the NCEP Global Data Assimilation System.
The successful candidate will work on the following scientific and engineering tasks:
- Complete intercomparison study of Hybrid 4DVar versus Hybrid 4DEnVar for the NCEP Global Data Assimilation System
- Develop and support atmospheric model interface, including tangent linear and adjoint, within the JEDI infrastructure
- Develop test, and/or explore additional algorithm developments for use in global NWP (use of EDA instead of LETKF, multi-scale and scale-dependent exploitation of ensemble information, etc.)
- Test and evaluate JEDI-based algorithm developments for use in future operational NWP applications
- Assist in development and transition of JEDI-based developments for replacement of current atmospheric assimilation infrastructure (GSI-based)
- Assist in coordination of JEDI-related development activities from other EMC developers
- Utilize JEDI infrastructure to explore data assimilation research activities relevant to future transition-to-operations of operationally relevant data assimilation research
A Master’s Degree or higher in atmospheric sciences or meteorology, applied mathematics, or related physical science with at least 2 years of experience in environmental forecast and analysis systems.
Demonstrated knowledge, skills, and abilities in at least five of the following areas:
- Advanced knowledge of data assimilation with focus on the development for numerical weather prediction (NWP)
- Advanced knowledge of data assimilation solvers, including variational-based assimilation and ensemble Kalman filters
- Advanced knowledge of the physical and mathematical basis of geophysical modeling and experience running advanced numerical weather prediction (NWP) models.
- Experience with tangent-linear and adjoint models
- Experience in model development in various infrastructures like the Earth System Modeling Framework (ESMF) and NOAA Environmental Modeling System (NEMS)
- Advanced knowledge and experience of modern programming languages such as object-oriented FORTRAN, Python, and/or C++
- Experience working in a UNIX environment with advanced scripting languages
- Experience in working with HPC platforms (MPI, OpenMP, Slurm, LSF, etc.)
- Modern software engineering practices (requirements gathering, design, prototyping, version control, integration, testing, and documentation).
- Experience in model testing and evaluation and/or knowledge of verification principles.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment on complex problems.
- Good oral and written communication skills in English
- Demonstrated skill in performing tasks requiring organization and attention to detail.
Candidates must be a U.S. Citizen or Green Card Holder to qualify
(US Citizen must live in US for 3-5 years prior to application)
(please indicate in your cover letter).
Please apply online at https://careers-imsg.icims.com. In your cover letter, please indicate the following information:
1) Timeline of availability
2) Citizenship Status
3) Salary requirements for considerations
NOTE: Provide three References
IMSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Veteran friendly
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) Matching
- Dental Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Referral Program
- Relocation Assistance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Vision Insurance