Air Education Training Command APPS
US Air Force AETC/A8
Position: Software Engineer I
Location: Randolph AFB, San Antonio, Texas
FLSA Status: Fulltime/Exempt/Professional
This contract supports the AETC Planning and Programming Systems (APPS) by providing operational support services for APPS systems Data Management including, but not limited to, database administration, systems administration, customer training, and help desk support. APPS is a pure Java client-server program that interfaces with an Oracle database.
The MUST HAVE requirements for the Software Engineer position are:
* Java language with 3+ years of development experience
* Oracle database development to interface with Java servlets
* Secret clearance
* CompTIA Security+ certification
* Windows experience with system administration experience a plus.
The SW engineer will maintain and enhance APPS under guidance of the senior SW engineer.
The SW engineer will also be a Windows Server system administrator applying application and support SW patches.
APPS has two main modules to facilitate this effort: Planning Choice Module and Programming Module. These tools analyze current, required, and historical funding levels to assess programmatic disconnects and deficiencies prior to AETC’s annual Planning Choice, Program Objective Memorandum
(POM) submission, and Financial Management-related efforts. The significant amount of data involved in these efforts prohibits manual execution of these activities.
These tools capture planning priorities, program needs and execution plans and are the primary data source and repository for all command planners, and programmers. Properly supported, decision support significantly enhances financial control of all AETC programs. Additionally, this system provides the command’s program managers, program element monitors, financial analysts, logisticians, commanders, directors, and senior leaders with insight into AETC’s planning, programmatic and financial management-related needs.
Required Education and Experience/Qualifications:
- Information Technology Degree
- Must have experience using GOTS or COTS tools for systems design and development
- Must have experience with Oracle Database Management System and Operating System configurations
- Experience with loading and maintaining data from external data sets such as ABIDES, RAPIDS,
CRIS, FM Suite, PBES, MilPDS, DJMS, DTS, CivMOD, and GAFS-BQ
- Provide oversight of system architecture and expertise related to established system requirements and operation.
- Create and install necessary system and application patches to include bug fixes, targeted refinements of current APPS capabilities, database maintenance and refinements, and application maintenance and improvements.
- Design, develop, test and package systems and software changes, as well as provide problem resolutions for the existing system.
- Maintain existing systems and environments IAW disciplined engineering practices and sustain applications, databases, and interfaces in compliance with applicable AF/DoD standards
- Support system sustainment activities to include data awareness of data pull from existing legacy systems and environments and to sustain applications, databases, and interfaces.
- Provide application services to support, maintain, and operate systems or services.
- Conduct software development, software security, web services development-web services testing-IT device applications and testing (if applicable), security layer integration, database clean-up, data wrapping, and data conversion.
- Develop, operate, and maintain prototype application models and databases to determine optimal solutions for integration concepts and problems integral to the integration process.
Develop schedules and implementation plans, including parallel operations, identification of technical approaches, and a description of anticipated prototype results.
- Perform system performance tuning, system re-hosting, and integration services.
- Load and maintain data from external data sets such as ABIDES, RAPIDS, CRIS, FM Suite, PBES,
MilPDS, DJMS, DTS, CivMOD, and GAFS-BQ.
- Create and test backups of data, provide data cleansing services, verify data integrity, implement access controls.
- Install, support, and maintain computer systems
- Plan and respond to service outages
- Diagnose software and hardware failures to resolution
- Implement and ensure security preventive measures are fully functioning
- Monitor and enhance system performance
- Work with appropriate entities to assist the AETC Data Office and the mission systems Tactical
Data Steward in developing and maintaining an information system environment that establishes and treats AETCs data as a Strategic Asset
- Answer tasking and initiatives that assist AETC in compliance w/SAF/CO strategy and ensuring
AETC data is visible, accessible, understandable, linked, and trusted (VAULT)
- Provide the technical expertise around source systems, Extract, Transform, and Load processes, data stores, data warehouses, and business intelligence tools
- Explain how a system or process functions and or how the process does not function
- Identify and communicate opportunities for data quality improvement
- Provide assistance in initiatives that enables data to be linked and accessible to meet government data sharing requirements
- Aid in metadata registration of new systems in AETC’s Cloud Environment and/or SAF/CO’s
VAULT Data Platform
- Aid in data sharing
- Participate in AETC Enterprise Data Management Working Groups as appropriate.
- Participate in SAF/CO Data Office Working Group(s) as appropriate.
- Produce and update artifacts as directed by the government to answer data taskings
- Attend other meetings as directed by the government to provide data management expertise
The employee frequently is required to sit, stand; walk; use hands or fingers to handle objects or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand, kneel, stoop and crouch. The employee may lift objects up to 20 pounds.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, copiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Travel may be required as needed and is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of- area and overnight travel may be expected and will comply with Joint Travel Regulation (JTR). Majority of travel will be one-night stays. Less frequently, some personnel may be asked to provide services for
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position. General hours of work are 0730 and 1630, Monday through Friday except for US Holidays, when the Government facility/installation is closed due to local or national emergencies, administrative closings, or similar Government-directed facility/installation closings.
Work Authorization/Security Clearance:
Must obtain and maintain a Secret Clearance.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, status as a parent, national origin, age, disability (physical or mental), family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors.
Indian Preference Statement
IVA'AL Solutions, LLC, a federally recognized American Indian owned company, provides an Indian
Preference Policy for hiring and promoting of fully qualified American Indians. When considering candidates for employment or promotion, that are basically equal in qualifications including education, skill, training, experience and a successful background screening process, priority is extended to an
American Indian candidate unless a valid, documented reason of unsuitability or unsatisfactory performance exists to justify non-selection of an Indian employee or applicant.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Pay: $95,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Referral program
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Java language and development: 3 years (Required)
- CompTIA Security and Certification : 5 years (Required)
- Oracle Database development to interface with JAVA Scripts: 5 years (Required)
- Windows with system administration : 1 year (Preferred)
Security Clearance Required:
Full Time Opportunity:
- Only full-time employees eligible
- Temporarily due to COVID-19