Located in both Kansas City and Topeka
BS degree in Engineering or Construction Management or at least 5 years of experience estimating
7-10 years in construction industry as an estimator or project manager. Project management and superintendent experience is valuable. Some field experience is highly recommended.
Predominately the responsibility for this position is bid administration in preparing full estimates for complex and critical work. The bid administration can include pre-construction budgeting, value engineering with designers/engineers, solicitation of subcontractors/suppliers, perform takeoff for all divisions of construction, lead bid day efforts, and produce preliminary project schedules during bidding. Scope of work to be estimated will vary from $50,000 to larger projects (over $20m).
This requires collaboration across multiple functional organization interfaces working closely with designers, engineers, subcontractors, suppliers, and owners. It further demands proactive risk identification and timely decision making to assure successful mitigation.
We are looking for a highly-motivated individual with strong team leadership skills who is interested in helping the team develop, lead and maintain our estimating department in our Topeka or Kansas City Office. The individual must possess excellent interpersonal skills, communicate well, influence effectively, and be comfortable in a highly fluid/ambiguous environment striving for excellence with high integrity.
We offer a full range of benefits including matching 401k, vacation/holiday pay, full family healthcare(paid by KBS), as well as salary and vehicle allowance commensurate to experience.
- Knowledge of Topeka or Kansas City market and proven positive track record with area subcontractors/suppliersExperience working on design/build projects
- Strong preference for technical problem solving expertise
- Strong skills in facilitation, issue resolution and decision making across functions in a highly complex environment
- Strong Listening ability; able to hear what is said, understand it, communicate, and engage
- Able to Influence others: decision-making, negotiation, persuasion, problem-solving, and trust/credibility building
- Must be comfortable interacting with senior leadership
- Advanced Knowledge with the following software is valued; On Screen Takeoff, Outlook, Word, Project, Excel
- Providing excellent communication skills on schedule status and issues to ensure appropriate management & cross-functional team's response to project challenges
- Creation of appropriate governance processes to standardize, streamline, and automate best practices in schedule management, reporting, etc.
- Ability to potentially build a new role in new areas, or successfully expand existing scope
- KBS is a 30-year-old company that has offices in Topeka, KS, Manhattan, KS, and Olathe, KS and we specialize in Critical Environment Construction (CEC). CEC is work where dust, noise, vibration and other items of construction work can cause issues for our clients. Some of our CEC markets are hospitals, data centers & telecom, manufacturing, food grade manufacturing, pharmaceutical manufacturing, senior living and occupied areas.
- KBS does other general contracting work like education, banks, churches, private business, judicial, military and other government agencies.
- KBS offers a competitive salary and benefit package.
- We self-perform demolition, carpentry, drywall, ceilings, doors, frames & hardware, and millwright work.
Job Type: Full-time
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Monday to Friday
- No weekends