We are engineers, high line workers, power plant managers, accountants, electricians, project coordinators, risk analysts, customer service operators, community representatives, safety and security specialists, communicators, human resources partners, information technology technicians and much, much more. We are 3,300 people committed to enhancing the lives of the communities we serve. Together, we are powering the growth and success of our community progress every day!
To be determined.
The Engineering Associate position will be responsible for providing engineering and technical support, on a 24x7 basis, to analyze, plan, specify, develop, procure, maintain and enhance the various systems, procedures and processes used to monitor and control, in real-time, CPS Energy transmission and distribution via installed SCADA technology. Experience with the SCADA systems is preferred.
Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level.
Deadline to apply, March 15, 2021.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Provide engineering and technical support to Operations Staff by ensuring SCADA applications and integrated systems work as expected so CPS Energy can effectively control and monitor its transmission, distribution, and gas systems in real-time.
- Formulate models and provide engineering direction and support in the development and modification of existing SCADA subsystems, functions, applications, databases, processes, procedures, and documentation in such a way as to maximize system accuracy, reliability and usability.
- Perform network model database changes to add, delete, and modify elements in the SCADA application to support reliable and accurate real-time controls of the CPS Energy transmission and, distribution systems.
- Ensure SCADA database accuracy by performing SCADA point checkouts with field personnel to ensure reliable and accurate representation of SCADA models in real-time operations.
- Support electric advanced power flow and state estimation functions for real-time system operations use (e.g. state estimation, Volt-VAR optimization, fault location and isolation, etc.).
- Ensure regulatory compliance by creating, maintaining, and verifying SCADA cyber security controls as well as related documentation.
- Assign and direct technical work of others including vendors and consultants.
- Work with Enterprise IT personnel to maintain the reliability and availability of all SCADA system functions.
- Support archiving and reporting tools used by other departments within CPS Energy.
- Support SCADA Operator Training Simulators so that System Operators have a viable simulator for annual required training.
- Identify SCADA application issues or enhancement opportunities and coordinate with application vendor to develop a software update and test plan.
- Work independently to verify vendor software patches. Develop detailed test and implementation procedures to install new software (code) onto a real-time control system.
- Use technical expertise and creativity to develop and implement innovative solutions to complex problems that increase value delivered to CPS Energy operations and customers.
Minimum Knowledge and Abilities
Basic knowledge of fundamental engineering concepts, practices and procedures
Ability to work in a team environment, coordinating with other related areas to complete tasks and projects
Effective interpersonal skills and written communication skills to work with all levels of personnel within the organization
Ability to perform multiple work activities with a minimum of supervision and prioritize workload effectively
Ability to use personal initiative to recognize needs and research skills to solve problems when necessary
Ability to work call duty and occasional unscheduled work in the evenings, weekends, or holidays after experience level permits
Ability to travel occasionally, to off-site work, to seminars, manufacturing plant inspections, etc.
Ability to obtain Professional Engineer License in State of Texas
Proficient in Microsoft Office Package, including word processing, spreadsheets, database, presentation software, electronic mail and scheduling
- Knowledge of power systems analysis and design and/or Natural Gas delivery systems.
- Familiarity with Electric Grid Modernization/Optimization or Distribution Automation (Smart Grid)
- Experience with Electric or Gas SCADA or other type of real-time system.
- Knowledge of SCADA Protocols: DNP serial/IP, ModBus, ICCP
- Familiarity with PHMSA, NERC CIP and BES reliability standards
- Knowledge and fluent use of Linux Operating systems and Shell Scripting
- Knowledge of complex SCADA architecture(shared access, firewalls, multiple domains)
- Knowledge and fluent use of Windows Operating systems and PowerShell
- Basic to intermediate TCP/IP networking skills
- Knowledge of Oracle DB software and SQL+ query language (or other RDBMS technology)
- Knowledge of common communication protocols: RS232, TCP/IP, SSH, HTTP
- Experience with and ability to read output of ASE test set for protocol level debugging
- Experience or knowledge of OSI PI usage and administration
- Familiarity with advanced SCADA applications such as State Estimation and Volt Var Optimization programs.
- Experience troubleshooting telemetry errors and performance problems as they relate to SCADA systems.
- Ability to solve complex technical problems through creativity and the use of applied technologies to bring value to CPS Energy and customers
- Ability to get Engineer In Training certification or Texas Professional Engineer license
Working with Ambiguity
Setting a Strategic Vision
Driving for Results
Building and Supporting Teams
Bachelors of Science degree in an engineering field from an ABET accredited four-year college or university
Work is performed indoors & outdoors. Manual dexterity, talking, hearing, and repetitive motion. Use of computing equipment, telephone, & printer/copier. Ability to travel to and from business related events. After hours work may be required.
CPS Energy does not discriminate against applicants or employees. CPS Energy is committed to providing equal opportunity in all of its employment practices, including selection, hiring, promotion, transfers and compensation, to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, veteran status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information or any other protected status. CPS Energy will comply with all laws and regulations.