RBC Bearings Incorporated (NYSE: RBC/RBCP) is a leading international manufacturer of highly engineered precision bearings, components and essential systems for the industrial, defense and aerospace industries. Founded in 1919, the Company is primarily focused on producing highly technical and/or regulated bearing products and components requiring sophisticated design, testing and manufacturing capabilities for the diversified industrial, aerospace and defense markets. We currently have 56 facilities, of which 37 are manufacturing facilities in ten countries and our market capitalization is approximately $6.2 billion.
Reporting to engineering manager, the candidate will have the technical responsibility for preparing and maintaining procedures for in-house heat treat equipment and processing of flight safety critical parts; interface with outside sources for plating and heat treatment; collaborate with project engineers on specifying raw material ordering requirements; maintain approval status from NADCAP and various aerospace customers; oversee in-house materials lab operations; and conduct failure analyses linked to materials and thermal processing.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
- Metallurgical sample preparation, testing and analysis
- Lab work order, equipment, test procedure, and capital management
- Author and publish lab reports, material specifications and internal standards
- Internal technical consultant for design engineering, manufacturing and supply chain management
- Work with manufacturing plants on process development, enhancement and maintenance
- Supplier evaluation, qualification, and PPAP processing
- Process improvement and cost reduction project support
- New product development and product enhancement project support
- Direct participation in standards writing organizations and industry associations
- Continual learning and development of metallurgical principals and testing procedures
- Bachelor or Master of Science degree in Metallurgical Engineering highly preferred.
- 0+ years’ experience in metallurgical engineering in the aerospace industry
- Direct hands on experience with metallurgical sample preparation, evaluation of ferrous microstructures, evaluation of through hardened bearing steel, carburizing, evaluation of carburizing steel microstructures, induction heat treating, mechanical testing of metals, cast iron, welding, nondestructive testing, powder metal, and familiarity with domestic and international material standards.
- Intimate knowledge of AMS-2750, AMS-2759 and OEM specifications is required
- Knowledge of NDT is desirable
- CAD experience and strong oral/written communication skills are a must
- Experience related to foundry and steel mill processes, metallurgical lab management, PPAP, Lean Six Sigma, additive manufacturing and capital project management is considered a plus.
This role is subject to compliance with the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), which requires the incumbent to be either a US citizen, lawful permanent resident [“green card” holders], or have refugee or asylee status).
Please note that the salary range information is only applicable for California. The pay range represents the low and high end of the salary range we reasonably expect to pay for this position at the time of posting. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors, including, but not limited to, geographic location, experience, education, skills, qualifications, performance, and business or organizational needs. Salary Range: $68,000 to $110,000 annually. Relocation assistance not available.
RBC Bearings is an Equal Opportunity Employer to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Bachelors or better in Engineering