Job Title: Data Engineer
Reports to: Director of Engineering and Technology
Status: Regular Full Time
Flexible Work Model:
We believe that the best way for us to grow, is through a work environment that allows us more flexibility whereby employees can be together in the office where interactions can happen with higher frequency and effectiveness (collaboration and team-engagement) – especially when dealing with complex problems and business innovation, balanced with work-from-home where we have more focused, uninterrupted time with minimal distractions for dedicated project/productive work.
Best Places to Work 2021:
GovDocs was named one of the 2021 Best Places to Work by the Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal!
Being named an honoree was no easy feat, as they received over 300 nominations for this year’s award. GovDocs was one of the top-scoring Minnesota businesses honored in the medium company category (50-250 employees) for creating a fun, challenging, and rewarding workplace.
Read more about GovDocs as Best Places to Work 2021 here: https://bizj.us/1qbeau
We are looking for a savvy Data Engineer to join our growing engineering team. The hire will be responsible for expanding and optimizing our data and data pipeline architecture, as well as optimizing data flow and collection for cross functional teams. The ideal candidate is an experienced data pipeline builder and data wrangler who enjoys optimizing data systems and building them from the ground up. The Data Engineer will support our software developers, and business systems team on data analytics and reporting initiatives and will ensure optimal data delivery architecture is consistent throughout ongoing projects. They must be self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems, and products. The right candidate will be excited by the prospect of optimizing or even re-designing our company’s data architecture to support our next generation of products and data initiatives.
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture,
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and Azure Data Lake technologies.
- Build analytics tools that utilize the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into customer acquisition, operational efficiency, and other key business performance metrics.
- Work with stakeholders including the Executive, Product, Data and Design teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Understanding of non-relational databases such as MongoDB desired
- Experience building and optimizing ‘big data’ data pipelines, architectures, and data sets.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets.
- Ability to build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency, and workload management.
- A successful history of manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large, disconnected datasets.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- Strong critical thinking, decision making, troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- We are looking for a candidate with 3+ years of experience in a Data Engineer role. Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Informatics, Information Systems, or another quantitative field a plus.
Technical Experience/Skills Required:
- Experience in Azure Ecosystem (Azure Data lake, Azure Data Factory, Azure Data Bricks, Azure Storage, Cosmos DB, ADO)
- Understanding and experience working with Microsoft Azure DevOps (work items, build/release, CICD)
- Experience in Database Analysis and modern warehousing technologies
- Understanding of code development best practices, process design and automation, security concepts, Agile concepts, tools, and technologies
- Knowledge on Data Ingestion/ streaming tooling such as Kafka, Spark, or similar technologies
- Familiarity with DevOps landscape, processes, standards, and tools
- Experience in Agile frameworks and methodologies (Atlassian, Azure DevOps), Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) experience is a plus.
- Strong understanding of data Ingestion, data transformation, data management, data quality, and data lineage services and technologies
This position is critical to the success of our business and the compensation package will be commensurate with candidate's experience and skills. Compensation will include base salary and performance-based incentives. Benefits include paid vacation, paid volunteer time and paid holidays, medical and dental, and matching 401(k).
GovDocs serves companies in building and executing their employment law compliance programs in two primary ways:
- Employment Law Posting Service: We manage all the complexities of identifying and providing the required set of employment law postings from the 1,700+ potential postings across the U.S. and Canada. Using proprietary technology, we allow companies to manage, track and verify postings at each of their locations – including our patent pending PosterCheck technology. Our Employment Law Posting Update service is used by almost 22% of the Fortune 500 and 30% of the Fortune 100.
- Employment Law Compliance Software Solutions: This is a first to market Software-as-a-Service starting with our Minimum Wage product and Paid Leave products, which allow companies to identify and track which laws apply to their locations and employees, then provides all relevant data to make decisions. This service was created in response to requests from some of our largest customers who recognized that employment law expansion across and variances between jurisdictions (Federal, State and Local) were too difficult to manually track.
GovDocs has grown revenue annually by 18% since 2008 with a 96% customer retention rate, primarily due to our Postings Update Program both obtaining and retaining customers – as employment law postings are required by law, every company has an existing provider. Our Software Solutions are an entirely new line of business that gives us great growth potential to create a full Employment Law Compliance (ELC) platform of solutions, it is also challenging us to reinvent how we view urgency, innovation and teamwork.
You must be authorized to work in the United States. Immigration or work visa sponsorship will not be provided. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Supplemental pay types:
Flexible work model with working from home options. We take action to protect the health and well-being of our colleagues by regular review of Covid-19 statistics and health guidelines.
- Are you able to reliably commute to Eagan, MN as required? Work from home is allowed but employees are required to come to the office at least a couple of times per month.
- What are your compensation requirements?
- Data Engineering: 5 years (Preferred)
Work Location: One location