For more than 170 years, The Hanover has been committed to delivering on our promises and being there when it matters the most. We live our values every day, demonstrating we CARE through our values, ESG initiatives and IDE journey.
Our Commercial Lines Specialty Marine Underwriting Department is currently seeking an Underwriting Associate in our Illinois or Michigan location or remote work location. This is a full time, non-exempt role.
This position serves as an essential member of the business UA team by supporting various Underwriting functions in partnership with assigned Underwriters and/or territories. Underwriting Associates are responsible for supporting new business and renewal activities, policy servicing handling including processing transactions and partnering with other support areas like Billing, Premium Audit, Claims, Agency Licensing as well as responding to agent inquiries. Additionally, individuals in this role are responsible for following operational workflows and best practices while ensuring service levels are met and a positive customer experience is provided to internal and external partners. As needed, UAs may be tasked with cross-training peers. As applicable, UA may have designated level of UW authority.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL:
WHAT YOU NEED TO APPLY:
- Supports the Underwriter in new business and renewal activities.
- Account preparation: collection/analysis of data, ensuring complete file documentation, instruction, solicitation, etc.
- Helps to support the quoting and issuance cycle.
- Updates work management system statuses throughout the cycle of the policy and monitors work in queue.
- Documents all new and renewal accounts including the completion of underwriting tools and information from outside resources in accordance to Best Practice guidelines.
- Completes loss control ordering form at issuance and monitors Task Assistant and monthly report to advise underwriter of report availability
- Handles legal notice requests that must be sent at the direction of the Underwriter.
- May partner with Premium Audit and Agency accounting as needed for audit transactions and overdue premium reconciliation.
- Consistently executes to all UA steps during new business and renewal issuance and subsequent transaction to achieve quality and service standards.
- Facilitates transfer of accounts to Process Support for issuance, provides detailed processing instructions and updates appropriate statuses.
- Uses appropriate communication channels to refer or follow-up with the underwriter to ensure outstanding items are handled timely.
- Serves as primary service contact to ensure superior customer experience; presents solutions for rush new business, renewal and endorsement requests.
- Responds to account inquiries such as accounting status and billing issues.
- Manages account information ensures accuracy of input into all appropriate systems.
- Demonstrates working knowledge of underwriting systems, workflows, procedures and compliance rules.
- Can assist with cross-training support of UA teammates.
- Understands strategy, territory appetite and key agent partners in order to achieve growth and profitability goals.
- Cultivates strong business relationships (internal and external) by proactively communicating and conveying ownership and commitment.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- Associate’s Degree or equivalent
- 1-2 Years of related insurance experience
- Fundamental underwriting, practices, procedures, workflows, systems & tools
- Robust functional knowledge of product offerings and solid business acumen
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong attention to detail - comprehensive understanding of systems and workflows
- Ability to work cross-functionally
Ability to use a personal computer and other standard office equipment.
Ability to work in a fast-paced or stressful environment.
Ability to sit for extended periods.
This job posting provides cursory examples of some of the job duties associated with this position. The examples provided are not complete, and the position may entail other essential and job-related functions and responsibilities that employees will be required to perform.
It’s not just a job, it’s a career, and we are here to support you every step of the way. We want you to be successful and fulfilled. Through on-the-job experiences, personalized coaching and our robust learning and development programs, we encourage you – at every level – to grow and develop.
We offer comprehensive benefits to help you be healthy, build financial security, and balance work and home life. At The Hanover, you’ll enjoy what you do and have the support you need to succeed.
- Medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance
- 401K with a company match
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company paid holidays
- Flexible work arrangements
- Cultural Awareness Day in support of IDE
- On-site medical/wellness center (Worcester only)
- Click here for the full list of Benefits
The Hanover values diversity in the workplace and among our customers. The company provides equal opportunity for employment and promotion to all qualified employees and applicants on the basis of experience, training, education, and ability to do the available work without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex/gender, sexual orientation, national origin, gender identity, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, ancestry or any other status protected by law.
Furthermore, The Hanover Insurance Group is committed to providing an equal opportunity workplace that is free of discrimination and harassment based on national origin, race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information or any other status protected by law.”
As an equal opportunity employer, Hanover does not discriminate against qualified individuals with disabilities. Individuals with disabilities who wish to request a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, or to perform essential job functions, should contact us at: [email protected]
and include the link of the job posting in which you are interested.
Applicants who are California residents:
To see the types of information we may collect from applicants and employees and how we use it, please click here.