Looking for an experienced floral designer to join our team!
Kathy + Co Flowers is a full-service florist that has proudly served the local community for ~30 years! We are seeking experienced part-time help (with the possibility of full-time for the right fit) at our shop, either starting now or starting in the fall (September).
We are looking for a designer with ideally 2+ years of experience with floral design, including but not limited to everyday design, funeral work (sprays, etc.), wedding/event work, and more.
The designs at our shop lean modern (as in gardeny/west coast/current, as opposed to tropical stems/foliage etc.), and so we are looking for a designer who is able to execute these designs instead of a more traditional look. Our customers have come to love and expect our shop’s unique style, and so we want to continue to deliver up to their expectations as well as our own.
We also are almost completely foam-free (with the exception of funeral work and the occasional basket per request), and during the summers we buy predominantly from local flower farms - we’re always trying to operate with an eco-conscious and locally-supportive mindset! We would love a team member who shares those values as well.
- Design same-day, next day, and display cooler arrangements/bouquets each shift
- Design funeral/wedding/event work as needed
- Take orders by phone/computer sometimes (and therefore be comfortable/proficient using both)
- Have a welcoming and friendly demeanor with customers, whether on the phone or in-person
- Sometimes assist with shop tasks, like flower processing, watering plants, bucket washing, cooler cleanup, etc.
- Need availability for the big floral holidays (the time leading up to and including Valentine’s Day & Mother’s Day, and the time leading up to Thanksgiving/Christmas (but we’re closed on the actual days of course).
- A willingness to learn and adapt, as regardless of your experience there will still need to be some training on our shop’s signature style.
Shifts will mainly fall between Monday - Friday, 8:30 AM - 5:30PM, with the exceptions predominantly being holidays and events (e.g. wedding setup on a Saturday). As of now we are closed Saturday's, but there is potentially the option to re-open for Saturday shifts if a staff member expressed interest in working that day. Sometimes shifts may run a bit later due to events, exceptionally busy unexpected days, etc., but it's not common.
Pay starts out at $15/hr for training, and then the actual position wage starts at $17/hr and can increase from there based on one’s level of independency, diversity of knowledge, speed, skill, etc.
Please apply here on Indeed or by email (floristapplications at gmail.com) with your resume, cover letter, and portfolio of your work.
We look forward to having you on our team!
COVID notice: please note that one of the owners is in an at-risk group, and so COVID precautions are taken seriously in our shop. If a team member tests positive they will not be allowed to come into work for the safety of our staff. Out of respect to our other staff members as well we ask sick team members (with any contagious illness) to wear a mask while in the shop (e.g. if you have a cold and still are coming into work then let’s not share it – we’ll all be happier for it!). If COVID cases in the area rise then we reinstate a masking policy at our shop for the duration of that wave. Etc. etc. We know this virus might be here to stay, but we still try to do our job to minimize the spread, especially to the at-risk communities. If these policies are something that you do not believe you can adhere to, then keep that in mind before applying since this job would not be the right fit for you.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Temporary
Pay: From $15.00 per hour
- Employee discount
- Flexible schedule
- 10 hour shift
- 4 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
Supplemental pay types:
Read at the bottom of the job description!
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Burlington, VT 05401: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Retail sales: 1 year (Preferred)
- Customer service: 1 year (Preferred)
- Floral Design: 2 years (Preferred)
Work Location: One location