Engineering Team Leader – Castings
Reports To: General Manager
The Engineering Team Leader – Castings leads the Casting Product Engineering Team, Pattern Shop and Layout. This position will be responsible for all Product Engineering functions including design of tooling rigging, production of patterns, pattern and part layouts, management of the sample process and new product contract review. In addition, the position is responsible for internal, customer and vendor support from an engineering and/or technical perspective.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Leadership responsibilities for Casting Product Engineering team, Pattern Shop and Layout.
- Lead and develop Casting Product Engineer(s) in all aspects of their responsibilities.
- Timely and accurate CAD and MAGMA simulation operation, ensure quoting process and individual quotes are accurate cost efficient, timely, including clear and accurate margins to be achieved per the quote.
- Lead communications with Pattern shop vendors, vendor and order management and status reporting.
- Lead the management of internal pattern shop orders and priorities.
- Management of the sample process, ensuring all new samples are tracked, documented, reviewed, and completed per internal and customer requirements.
- Development of new and innovative approaches and designs for product rigging to ensure products are safely manufacturable
- Development of annual yield improvements projects to increase part throughput.
- Conduct contract review of all new products to ensure castings and processes meet customer requirements.
- Work closely with sales, quality, and operations to achieve customer satisfaction
- Role time breakdown estimate: 30-40% of time in Leadership/Management, 60-70% in Product Engineering
- Assist operations through development of new processing approaches to help drive organizational improvements and increase customer satisfaction.
- Collaborate with quality and operations to reduce customer PPM and rejections and drive process improvements.
- Work with quality team to develop supplier base and ensure each supplier can technically fulfill requirements of each contracted process and meets the quality requirements of Omaha Steel and the customer.
- Collaborate within Omaha Steel and with customers regarding general tolerancing and GD&T. Bring a strong understanding of layout techniques to help ensure accurate information is provided to the customer and internally regarding dimensional capability and compliance.
- Provide technical expertise, both internally and externally, regarding NDT techniques and interpretation.
- Participate and lead cost and scrap reduction projects.
- Research and introduce new technologies for implementation at Omaha Steel.
- Provide technical advice and support to all other areas of Omaha Steel.
- Develop process procedures for both immediate area of responsibility and for other areas of the organization.
- Assist in both internal and external audits to customer and internal process requirements and expectations.
Education and Skills
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Engineering or Agricultural Engineering preferred
- Casting product engineering experience (5-10 yrs preferred).
- Team leadership experience preferred.
- Must be detail-oriented and able to work accurately while meeting assigned deadlines.
- Expertise in MAGMAsoft Simulation software required - MAGMAsteel preferred
- Solid Modeling Proficiency required- SOLIDWORKS preferred
- Microsoft Word and Excel experience, and general computer knowledge and experience working with a wide variety of systems including ERP systems.
- Must have ability to communicate (written and verbal) with both internal and external customers effectively and in a professional manner.
- Must have an exceptional work ethic with relentless pursuit of continuous improvement.
- High level of personal accountability and ownership required.
- The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position.