At SOM, we are a collective committed to shaping a better future for our clients, communities and planet. We aspire to create the most sustainable, impactful work through creative, interdisciplinary teams with all the resources and diversity of a global firm. We value those who are passionate about excellence, innovation, integrity, inclusivity, and collaboration. Together we can achieve great things.
Success at SOM Means
- Ideas: We believe in a meritocracy of ideas. We look to everyone to actively contribute to the discourse in the firm.
- Knowledge: We believe that expertise is the result of lifelong learning. We are not expected to know everything, but rather to passionately pursue answers, develop new skills and deepen our knowledge.
- Product: We strive for excellence in the concept, quality, and delivery of our work.
- Individual: We value individuals who bring the highest standards of professionalism and personal integrity in the way they work. Each person can develop and contribute their wealth of attributes, skills and knowledge to support the overall health of the firm.
- Team: We value the power of interdisciplinary integration. A positive team culture in which everyone collaborates openly towards common goals is essential.
- Firm: We have a history of making transformative contributions to the profession and our communities. We are constantly innovating and attempting to bring new approaches, solutions and processes to our work.
SOM provides an opportunity to work in a dynamic environment alongside MEP engineers, sustainability specialists, architects, structural engineers, interior designers and urban planners to develop designs for some of the most complex and interesting building projects in the world. The position of MEP Sustainable Studio Operations Manager is situated within a team oriented framework and requires the candidate to be skilled in the areas of leadership, technical ability and management. The candidate must have strong communication skills and the ability to adapt in a dynamic environment.
- Director of Sustainable Engineering Studio and Partners
- MEP Project Team Leader and Operations of Sustainable Engineering Studio
- Lead MEP projects.
- Promote the core values and vision of the organization
- Maintain a spirit of collaboration, positive morale and teamwork throughout the Studio and organization
- Clearly articulate goals and objectives for the group
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Exercise consistent professionalism during conflict resolution
- Energize studio staff to expand the boundaries of conventional design technologies and processes
- Monitor technical industry advancements
- Stay current with new technologies, systems, equipment and implementation
- Engage in writing technical articles for well known trade publications
- Actively participate in local and national professional organizations
- Establish internal and external “Learning Center” to advance technical skills of group
- Provide mechanism for consensus based design
- Promote innovative design approaches
Mentorship / Training Responsibilities
- Create structure to allow mentorship to happen at all levels
- Instill mentorship skills and provide constructive direction when needed
- Continually monitor and assess skill levels and development opportunities for all studio staff and identify relevant training opportunities
- Quality Control
- Provide mechanism for peer-to-peer quality control process
- Coordinate studio weekly assignments to ensure project coverage proportional to scope and available fee
- Track studio performance and report to SES Directors on regular basis
- Develop Fiscal Year business plan
- Develop yearend report for studio
- Work with project Team Leaders and Project Managers to develop Project Plans for each project that define scope, staffing, schedule and deliverables
- Quality Control for MEP
- Advancement and maintenance of standard details, schedules, symbols & schedules
- Advancement and maintenance of standard narratives and specifications for your discipline
- Drive the mentorship program for individuals within your discipline
- Participate and promote participation in local professional organizations, such as IEE and ASHRAE
- Organize in-house training for all members of the MEP technical staff
- Participate in the Annual Review process for all technical staff in each discipline
- Have strong participation in recruitment activities for each discipline
- Provide leadership to maintain a spirit of collaboration and teamwork between and within the disciplines
- Provide leadership to promote positive morale within the disciplines and within the MEP Studio
- Make recommendations to Studio Directors and Team Leaders for new project assignments
- Make recommendations to Studio Directors for potentially beneficial staffing changes
- Provide and promote good client service and satisfaction for internal and external clients
- Promote a healthy, productive, efficient and professionally rewarding environment in the office
- Other assignments as deemed priority by SES Directors and Partners
- Minimum 10 years of building engineering experience, specifically consulting engineering
- Project experience should include large scale mixed use projects, and/or government projects, both domestically and/or abroad
- Proved leadership experience in managing a large team
- Strong experience in MEP (Mechanical Electrical and Plumbing) design, management, and green sustainability
- Bachelors Degree from Accredited Engineering Program
- Some international and domestic travel will be required
- Microsoft Office – Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint required
- Professional Engineer License required, and LEED Accreditation preferred
- AutoCAD / Revit, Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office – Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Energy Plus, eQuest, Radiance, Ecotect, Radtherm, IES, SunCast, Fluent preferred
SOM offers opportunities to work on transformational projects, competitive salaries, health insurance, wellness, retirement and financial and other work/life plans.
At SOM, we welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace. We believe an inclusive environment benefits our employees, our firm, and our community, while also enriching and challenging our own thinking about design. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Visit this page to learn more about SOM's employment policy and how to apply offline: www.som.com/employment\_opportunities\_and\_policy
For more about SOM: www.som.com
Portfolios must be submitted for all design positions (Architecture, Interiors, Planning, etc). Applications without work samples will not be reviewed . Portfolios should be one PDF attachment, 10-20 pages, maximum 5 MB. Submit portfolios as part of your application in the section where the application asks you for your Resume or CV.
Job Type: Full-time