The location of position is flexible and may be available to work in another location and/or remotely based on the need of the department.
Auto-Owners Insurance, a top-rated insurance carrier, is seeking a motivated entry level Loss Control professional to join our team.
The training program will provide the trainee with an overview of the Auto-Owners organization, introduction to working in a corporate environment, practice applying skills working with key stakeholders, and provide a better understanding of insurance and the Property & Casualty industry. The program will also assist the trainee in developing the skills and building the expertise needed to understand and succeed in the role of a field Loss Control Consultant. This includes skills related to report and letter writing, risk evaluation skills, solutions development for addressing exposures, effective listening, and risk assessment interviewing skills.
- Act as a technical resource for underwriting associates, other internal departments, Loss Control team members, agency partners, and policyholders.
- Ability to learn and deliver high quality multi-line risk evaluations and analysis of exposures and controls related to Workers’ Compensation, Property, Inland Marine, Umbrella, Builders’ Risk, Products/Completed Operations, Commercial Auto, Garage Liability/Dealer’s Blanket, and General Liability. This also includes disciplines covering ergonomics, industrial hygiene, and behavioral-based safety.
- Ability to learn to visit and service a variety of industries including Industrial Processing, Construction, Motor Carrier/Transportation, Garage/Body Shop, and many others.
- Assists with Loss Control surveys, analysis, and recommendations for routine risks under the direction of a Senior Loss Control Consultant or other designated Loss Control associate.
- Complete assigned projects often involving the use of software, Microsoft Office, internal systems, and other technology.
- Provide Quality Assurance reviews of vendor and Loss Control Consultant survey reports, letters, and other correspondence and documents.
- Have a team-based approach working with other internal associates and departments, as well as our agency partners, to provide effective risk improvement consultations to Commercial policyholders that positively influence loss ratios, relationships, profitable new business growth, and account retention.
- Deliver collaborative, consultative-based Loss Control services that provide value and solutions to policyholders while working with them to move service issues forward and improve the account’s loss exposures and performance and overall cost of risk.
- Conduct on-site visits of existing and prospective policyholders and complete comprehensive survey reports to evaluate operations, exposures and controls, and provide an overall assessment for adequate risk selection, pricing, and application of techniques for profitable underwriting results.
- Complete value-based correspondence to summarize visit activities that includes solutions-based discussion and development of meaningful recommendations to minimize policyholder exposure to loss.
- Provide value-added services to assist in overall policyholder risk reduction strategies such as effective safety culture implementation, risk identification, program development assistance, safety training, resource assistance, and loss analysis evaluation.
- Market Loss Control department and Auto-Owners competitive differentiation to policyholders and agency partners with a focus on building positive and lasting relationships to bring in and retain profitable business.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Excellent oral and written communication, presentation and marketing skills
- Active listening and the ability to ask open-ended questions
- Excellent typing and technology skills
- Sound interpersonal, consultative, and collaborative skills
- Excellent problem solving, critical thinking, organizational, and time-management skills
- Detail oriented and disciplined
- Strong work ethic
- Excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Assertive and high level of self-motivation
- Ability to work independently, remotely, and with minimal supervision
- Ability to work cooperatively and enthusiastically with both internal and external stakeholders
- Flexibility for necessary travel and occasional overnight stays
- Valid driver’s license with good driving history
- Willingness to accept direction from and work with assigned trainers and mentors
- Ability to participate in on-site visits to offices and diverse working environments, including construction sites
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university with a required major to be in safety related sciences, engineering, related field, or Occupational/Environmental Safety and Health with equivalent related work experience.
- Completion of an Internship(s) and/or other occupational safety related experience.
- Desire to seek relevant designations such as OHST, ARM, CFPS, CIH, ASP and/or CSP. The position requires the following essential duties and responsibilities:
- Successful completion of a 6-12 month initial training program in our Lansing, MI corporate office that will transition into an entry-level field Loss Control Consultant position in one of our operating states.
- On-the-job shadowing with experienced Loss Control associates.
- Relocation: Following the training process, relocation may be necessary to fill a territory vacancy. The ability and willingness to relocate following successful completion of the training process is a requirement for this position.
Auto-Owners offers a wide range of career opportunities, and we are seeking talent that will help us continue our long tradition of success. We offer a friendly work environment, structured training program, employee mentoring and an excellent compensation/benefits package. Along with a competitive base salary, matched 401(k), fully-funded pension plan (once vested), and bonus programs, Auto-Owners also provides generous paid time off including holidays, vacation days, personal time, and sick leave. If you're looking to do rewarding work alongside great people, Auto-Owners is the place for you!
Equal Employment Opportunity
Auto-Owners Insurance is an equal opportunity employer. The Company hires, transfers, and promotes on the basis of ability, without consideration of disability, age, sex, race, color, religion, height, weight, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin, or any factor contrary to federal, state or local law.
*Please note that the ability to work in the U.S. without current or future sponsorship is a requirement.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee discount
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Referral program
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
Work Location: Multiple Locations