Our fleet of articulated tug barges has some of the newest technological advances in the Marine Industry and has been operating for over 50 years! We specialize in bulk transport of Iron Ore, and Stone Aggregate across the Great Lakes.
VTB is a company who believes in investing in employees through onsite & hands on training opportunities, tuition assistance for continuing education courses, and the company value of promoting from within. We want lifetime employees who excel and move through the ranks to meet their occupational goals.
We have competitive wages with annual raises and a benefits package which includes medical, dental, and vision insurance; with all monthly premiums paid by the company.
To complete an employment application visit us at www.vtbarge.com/careersatvtb
The Chief Engineer is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of all machinery and systems aboard both the tug and barge in compliance with Company policy in addition to local and federal regulations. The Chief Engineer is responsible for managing the Engineering team aboard both the tug and barge in an efficient and professional manner. In addition to the above, the Chief is also required to order and maintain an adequate inventory of spare parts and fuel. The Chief Engineer must also be able to work closely with the Captain of the vessel, and work well with the shoreside staff to ensure smooth operations with clear and effective communication.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States as a U.S. citizen or national, or an alien admitted as a permanent resident, refugee or asylee
- U. S. Passport
- Ability to:
- Be away from home for periods in excess of 30 days; as needed
- Stand for long periods of time
- Lift/carry up to 100 pounds floor to shoulder
- Lift up to 50 pounds floor to overhead
- Climb Stairs/ladders
- Push/pull up to 200 pounds
- USCG Issued Chief Engineer Limited (Minimum)
o This position requires that you possess a valid Transportation Workers Identification Credential (TWIC) to gain entry into secured areas that are regulated by the Maritime Transportation Security Act (MTSA).
- Possessing strong written and oral communication skills
- Having the ability to acquire knowledge
- Able to collaborate, effectively manage and work well with others
- Able to clearly communicate instructions, both written and verbal
- Able to apply, and enforce safety protocols to achieve the desired outcomes according to the company's operating procedures.
- Possessing organization, efficiency and is a methodical problem solver
- Experience with Safety Management Systems
- Experience with Vessel Management Software
- Computer literate
Chief Engineers work a 28/28 rotation, year round.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Professional development assistance
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- 12 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
Supplemental pay types:
Willingness to travel:
Work Location: One location